This very simple and quick dish is high in protein and Omega-3. Omega-3 is an essential fat, meaning our bodies cannot make it, and so we have to obtain it from our diet. It would appear that many of us are deficient in Omega-3 and food sources are limited, making salmon a great part of a balanced diet!
Quinoa is a wonderful protein rich grain, which makes a great alternative to rice or pasta. Make sure you do not over cook it. You do not want the consistency to be like porridge!
On a different note, did you see we were mentioned in the Times this week, in a feature about “recipe kits“? It made us so happy we decided to give everyone who orders a bag this week 50% off the first bag! Check your post code, and then use the discount code “TODAY100″ to claim the offer.
- Soak 8 wooden skewers in water.
- Thinly slice the spring onion, peel and grate the carrots and finely chop 2 tbsps of coriander, set aside.
- Prepare the fish. In a medium sized bowl mix together the sweet chilli sauce, honey and sesame oil. Cut the salmon into chunks (about 3cm square) and add them to the chilli sauce, coat well and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Cut the beans into thirds. In a medium sized saucepan bring to the boil 400ml of stock, add 200g of quinoa and simmer for 5 minutes then add the beans and simmer for another 5 minutes until the stock has been absorbed and the quinoa is soft but the grains are still separated.
- While the quinoa is cooking thread the salmon onto the skewers then place them under the grill for 7 – 8 minutes turning and basting them regularly with the sauce.
- When the quinoa is ready mix in the grated carrots, coriander and spring onions. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tbsp of lemon juice, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When the fish kebabs are ready serve them with the quinoa and any remaining sweet chilli sauce poured over the top.
Sticky Honey Salmon Kebabs with Quinoa and Vegetables
- Difficulty: Easy
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Take care not to over cook the quinoa!
- 500g skinless salmon fillets
- 4 tbsp of sweet chilli sauce
- 4 tbsp clear honey
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- 200g green beans
- 2 carrots
- 200g quinoa
- 400ml chicken or veg stock
- 1 bunch of spring onions
- 1 lemon
- Salt ()
- Pepper ()
Items marked with () are what we call "home ingredients" not included in each recipe bag. All other ingredients are supplied in the bag, in enough amounts for the supplied recipes.